Friday, April 15, 2011

Scrub Away The Color

Born This Way- Lady Gaga



When I was young I never thought myself different from other people. 
I never looked at the color of my skin and the color of theirs and was intimidated by that. I never looked at others like they were different from me, we were all the same in my eyes. I never looked at my teachers and doctors like they were higher up than me.

Once in elementary school. a kid Hit Me. My sister saw this act and asked this kid why  he hit me. He looked at her and told her straight up."She is Different." My sister threatened him telling him that I was like everyone else. and that if he dare hit me again she would go ape shit. She didn't say that exactly. but something along the lines of, "I am going to beat yo' ass up if I hear of this again."

I was a creative minded child. and  wondered if I could scrub away this color and look normal like the rest of my family. And as a kid, my mom had always told me it wouldn't be so easy for me. and that people would look at me like there was something wrong with me. and some people would hate me. I always wondered who would hate me because I have done nothing wrong.

As a kid this scared me...
but I am no longer afraid.

"Nigger Lovers." 
they called my friends. 

And let me tell you all something, 
you can call me a nigger, 
you can call me different, 
you can stare at me because the color of my face is different from the color of yours. 
You can say what you want and think what you want. But I am no different than any other person. 

Filipino. I am. 
Afraid. I am not. 
I will hit you in the face. remember that. 
Racial Discrimination must stop. 

We are Human Beings. 
We are not animals. 

I have skin like many do. just cooked alittle extra. 
I have brown eyes. Like many do. Just alittle more black.
I have hands. like many do too. just alittle tan on one side more than the other

I don't call you all white crackers.

I love white people. 
I don't care if you are white, black, yellow or Pacific Islander. 

When I am sick. I am tan
When I am angry. I am tan
When I am cold. I am tan.
When I am dead. I am tan.

But you?
When you are sick? You are green.
When you are angry? You are red.
When you are cold? You are blue.
When you are dead? You are purple.

Think about the colors you are. 
before you even have a slight thought of how I am Different. 

I am Different. & I am Proud.

BABY I WAS BORN THIS WAY.


1 comment: