Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pour Me Out.


Remember when we were kids? When our outfits weren't color coordinated, but our socks matched thanks to mom. We played games like climbing all over the furniture pretending the ground was lava. I remember I played the Lava Game and pretended my dog was a lava dog and ran away. Me and my sister would play Cowboys and Indians. She would tie me up (of course I was the indian) but those were the days. Now we look at ourselves and we look back and we may just laugh at ourselves, and how we dressed, or acted. We just look but we never come to realize that we were carefree, and lucky. Lucky because we didn't care if we offended people. (and they didn't care if we offended them, they just laughed thinking we were cute little brats.)Carefree, we didn't know about sickness unless it was a sniffly nose, we were unaware of death and drugs and sex. In fact, we acted as if hyped up on drugs. Running around the house bare-ass naked. Building little tents in our living rooms. Banging on pots and pans. We were cunning and intelligent. We built the best tents in town out of a few blankets and a broom.
But were weren't brave all the time. I know I became scared often. I hid my face under the blankets late within the night. Thinking that whatever monster or boogie man were creeping on me that night could never get to me under neath my sheets. Some nights so scared I would crawl in bed with my parents right between them. and fall asleep. Even as we grow older, the things that frighten us change into something bigger. Afraid to die, Afraid to grow old, Afraid of change, Afraid of strangers, Afraid to be yourself. Because if you show your true face you're afraid people will judge you.
Friends didn't betray us. We didn't betray friends. Most often than not, our best friend was Henry the imaginary friend. Or Ted the teddy bear. But Friends merely fought over a simple toy. Now we fight over teenage boys. Or who spread what rumor. Arguments as a teen is probably even more immature than arguments as kids. But we didn't know that then. And we don't know it now.
When it rained we grabbed our umbrellas, even though we jumped in puddles and got ourselves soaked. Boys were and entire different species. (still are) but we still married them underneath the monkey bars. Pink was just the color we wore. but our favorite color changed daily. We danced to our own beat.

We were kids.
just kids.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for remembering the days I cherish as something wonderful for you too. You are amazing.
    I love you.
    mom

    ReplyDelete